Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fine and Dandy


So last week was the beginning of Men’s Fashion Week in Milan, and all the top menswear designers showcased their Fall 2011 Collections.  Every time I see these collections it makes me wonder, “why are men not better put together these days?”  Gone are the days of the “Dapper Dons”, my reality is more of the “Sloppy Sals”.  So while I sit next to my slob during playoffs, here are some fantasies I am having and highlights from the shows. 
A look from Gucci, I love the mix of colors that inky blue mixed with rust and aubergine.  This is Darren, he is a guy I met at the Standard Hotel. He seduces me with his eyes and quiet confidence, I mean who could wear an aubergine tie with a rust shirt and not flinch right?  He invites me to his room so we can chat quietly, as I slip into his room he pulls me close and kisses me with such passion he steals my breathe.  But everything comes to a screeching halt when he caresses my face with his manly grip and I notice a faint tan line on his ring finger.

A look from Umit Benan, I love the color mix as well but I love the drawstring pants with the suit jacket and tie. 
Franco, is a swarthy Italian man that spots me walking down the Spanish steps in Rome. I am instantly drawn to low dark brows and intrusive gaze.  I'm not sure if I should be offended or flattered as he studies me from head to toe. He charms me to sit and have a cappuccino with him in a thick Italian accent.  He spends the hour holding my hands and telling me how beautiful I am.(Like he does with every American tourist)

A look from Pringle of Scotland, I love the over sized sweater, leather patch on the wool trousers and gorgeous coat. Cooper, is a young male model I make acquaintances with at a cafe in the meat packing.  His broodish demeanor hides a broken heart as he had just broken up with his lover.  Now cooper and I sit and comtemplate whether or not to sulk in the arms of a much older financiere. 

A look from Vivienne Westwood, I love the mix of patterns, it totally has a fifties vibe. I meet Adrian trying to catch a cab in Midtown, we discover that we are headed to the same area so we share a cab.The attraction is palpable, like and electric charge. He tells me that he has a girlfriend so there is no hope of anything happening.  As we both walk away we left wondering how different it would have been if we were both available. 

A look from Burberry Prorsum, I love the goose egg blue mixed with the heathered astracán on the sweater, the slight shine on the trousers makes it just dressy enough.  Justin, is a 19 year old art student I meet at the Guggeheim, I study him while he studies a Kandinsky.  He can't help but be drawn to my allure.  We exchange information and maintain a friendship.  His parents discover our relationship via a Facebook thread and threaten to disown him if he does not end our relationship.  He grabs and overnight bag and buys a one way bus ticket to Dallas.

A look from Roberto Cavalli, it looks like a simple gray suit, but I love the layering of rich textures. I meet Ethan, at a happy hour where we are both celebrating some major achievements. Myself I've paid off my credit card bills and him a promotion.  We buy a bottle of champagne and drink till we are giddy, one bottle turns into three and we find the nearest hotel we can find and get a room where we commit acts of unspeakable passion to each other.  He leaves early the next morning to catch a plane back to London, my only reminder of the evening a hangover and the fur he has left behind.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE LOVE THIS!!! Thank you for reviving my pulse!!

    ReplyDelete